Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day Part 2 (Cherry-Vanilla Cupcakes)


I don't know when my cupcake love began, but within the last couple of years I kind of became obsessed. I don't just make them from scratch either, nuh-uh. Sometimes you only have time for a boxed concoction, but with some ingenuity and a well-stocked spice cabinet you can turn plain vanilla into AWESOME.

Since I was already making cookies, I wanted a box of cake mix and I knew I wanted vanilla. But as I was staring at the selection in the store, I wanted something more. To be specific, I wanted something with cherry. So I picked up some cherry flavoring and vanilla frosting and tried a simple cherry-vanilla cupcake.

They came out, really awesome. The cherry flavoring ( I added 1 tbsp.) was slightly pink, so I added 3 drops of red food dye for a faint pink coloring which totally made my girly side happy. And when it came time to decorate, I pulled out some of the V-Day decor I amassed after hitting up the day after sales, and did 5 different looks. So yeah, next time you see those boxes of cake mix, start thinking of add-ins. You'll be surprised at what you may come up with!


 
(bon appetit!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...