Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Orange Cinnamon Crisps


I realized while looking through my fridge that there were only a couple of pieces of Texas Sheetcake, so I decided to pop my baking cherry for 2011. After going through all of my recipes a couple of weeks ago, I had a list of potential things to make for my Christmas Gift Plates this year. The first on the list were these Orange Cinnamon Crisps and I was happy that I made them.


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
grated orange rind
1 tbsp. orange juice
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. 

2) Beat one cup sugar, shortening, egg, vanilla, and orange rind together. 

3) Add orange juice.

4) Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.

5) Shape dough into walnut-sized balls.

6) Combine 1/4 cup sugar & 2 tsp. cinnamon.

7) Dip balls in cinnamon-sugar & place on baking sheet.

8) Flatten balls with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.

9) Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, cool on wire racks.

MAKES 3 DOZEN.

(my new apron, a Xmas gift from a friend)

(my handy black &decker power pro hand blender)

 (mmmmmmm, cinnamon-sugar.....)

 (dough balls after their cinnamon-sugar dip)

 (after being flattened, the balls are ready for the oven!)

Overall, I was very happy with how these came out. They're crunchy, but not brittle. And the smell when you bake them is AWESOME. They are a little time-consuming to put together, but they're not complicated in the slightest. So if you want your orange with a twist, these are the perfect cookies.

 Now if you'll excuse me, this cookie and I have a date with a glass of milk and Glee. Ciao!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...