Saturday, December 17, 2011

Beef Tamales Part 1: The Meat & Sauce

I try to keep the cooking stuff to a minimum, but I really wanted to show you guys a staple in my house around the holidays. I'm Hispanic, and tamales are a Christmas treat that I only get once a year. WHY? Because even though they are pretty basic to make, they are very time consuming.

The reason for that, is if you are making tamales for a family get together, the amount you make is going to depend on A) how many people are going and B) figuring out about how many tamales each person will consume. Which is is why you will hear of people (like myself) making ridiculous quantities because they disappear much quicker than you would imagine.

If you were to ask 5 different Hispanic people how they make tamales, you will more than likely get 5 different answers. This is how my Mom and I make them, this is how my Nana Elvira made them. So let's get started!

NOTE: I'm only listing the ingredients I used, not the quantities. It's going to vary depending on how many you are going to make, and your personal tastes.
---------------------------
INGREDIENTS:
minced/diced onion
garlic powder
salt
bay leaves
roast (size will vary)
flour
vegetable oil
enchilada/red chile sauce

1) In a heavy pan or dutch oven, fill under 1/2 way and season then bring to a boil.

2) Trim off any excess fat on your roast.

3) When water is boiling, add meat to the pot. Fill with more water to cover the meat.

4) Cover with a well-fitting lid, and cook until meat is tender and falls apart.

5) When meat has cooked, shred and place into a deep container.

6) Reserve the leftover chicken broth, you will need it when assembling the tamales.


7) In a pan, make a roux with vegetable oil and flour
(over low heat warm the oil, then add flour. when it bubbles it is ready)
8) Add your enchilada or red sauce, and let simmer until thick.

9) Add to red sauce, let cool before placing in the fridge overnight.
(the juices from the sauce will keep the meat from being dry)
VOILA!

PART II - Assembly and Cooking

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...