Friday, November 18, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

I know, this is a baking blog, but this was so good that I wanted to share. I have to start by saying that I was never really a pot pie person. I always found that they were dry, or that they were so rich that they upset my stomach. This recipe is stick to your ribs fantastic, and perfect for cold weather.

WARNING: The recipe below is not exact, and it only made 2 pot pies. Feel free to add more or less for your own needs.

INGREDIENTS:
chicken
frozen vegetables
garlic powder
pepper/salt
chicken broth
bay leaf
flour
butter
milk
pie crust

1) Cut and cube chicken. I used thigh meat which I HIGHLY recommend. I feel that the darker meat gives the pot pie a more hearty flavor. Added bonus, it holds up to boiling really well.

2) Boil the chicken and frozen vegetables in chicken broth for 15 minutes. I used the Korr's chicken broth in those little plastic containers. I also seasoned it with garlic powder, black pepper, and a bay leaf.

3) Save some of the chicken broth (you'll need it for the cream sauce), and then drain before setting aside.

4) MAKE A RUE! Melt butter (I used 2 tbsp.) over a low heat. Once it's melted slowly add in 2 TBSP. of flour until combined. Add your spices (garlic powder & pepper), then add a touch of chicken broth, followed by 1/4 cup of milk. Let simmer over medium high heat until sauce thickens, then remove from heat.

5) Divide chicken mixture into tins.


6) Pour sauce over mixture, then stir.

7) Place pie crust over the top of the pot pie. I didn't put the crust on the bottom of the pie, because I personally could not handle that much breading. I also used a roll-out pie crust which you can find in the dairy section at your local grocery store. It's seriously my new favorite thing. NOTE: Be sure to cut a few slits or poke a few holes in the pie crust, or your pot pies will explode.

8) Bake for 40 minutes, at 375 F. VOILA! You have pot pie!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...