Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pumpkin Walnut Pie

Here is the second pumpkin pie recipe I promised. This is one of my favorite holiday pies, and it's making a return to Thanksgiving after a 3 year absence. It has all the heartiness of a pumpkin pie, but with a sweet crunchy walnut layer on top. Seriously, I'm hoping that there are going to be some leftovers.

NOTE: There is no way around it, you MUST use SOLID-PACKED pumpkin for this recipe. If you use any other kind, the walnut layer will sink to the bottom and the pie will never finish cooking.

NOTE: I ran out of sugar, so for the walnut layer I substituted brown sugar for white sugar, and for the pumpkin layer I also added 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon.

INGREDIENTS:
PUMPKIN LAYER:
1 unbaked 9 in. pie pan
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup solid-pack pumpkin
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

WALNUT LAYER:
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup walnuts

1) Combine all the pumpkin layer ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.

2) Spread pumpkin layer in pie shell.

3) Combine walnut layer ingredients, coating the walnuts well.

4) Carefully spread walnut layer over pumpkin layer.

5) Bake at 350 F. for 40-50 minutes.
(it's in my fridge taunting me with its deliciousness...)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...