Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How to Roast a Pumpkin

Hey everyone! So Thanksgiving is going to be at my Aunt's house, and I was asked to bring a couple of pies. I'm going to feature both of these pies tomorrow, and for one of them I'm using a small sugar pumpkin. I've always used canned pumpkin before, so this was a new exciting adventure for me, and it was super easy. Let me show you how to roast your own pumpkin.

1) Preheat your oven to 350 F.

2) Cut your small pumpkin in half.

3) Scoop out all the stringy pulp & the seeds from inside.
(P.S. Be sure to save the seeds so you can toast them later!)

4) Place the 2 halves face down in a shallow baking dish.


5) Add water, coming up 1/4 inch up the side.

6) Cover the dish with foil, and seal tightly.

7) Bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on the size.
(you're going to need a min. of 45 minutes, then check every 5 min.)
 
8) Scoop out the pumpkin and discard the shell
(The meat should be a darker orange and soft.)

 There you have it! It's super easy and took about 90 minutes from start to finish. My pumpkin still had some lighter non-soft spots, but I didn't want to leave it in the oven any longer for fear of it drying out. Shouldn't be a problem though; I covered the pumpkin with foil and let it sit on my counter while I waited for it to cool down. 

Be sure to check back tomorrow for not one, but TWO pumpkin pie recipes!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...